I love this time of year. NaNoWriMo. National Novel Writing Month. This is really my writerly Christmas. It makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside (with a side of insane).
This will be my eighth year. EIGHT YEARS! I can’t even believe it. My first year was the November of my senior year of high school. I can’t even wrap my head around that fact. I didn’t win until 2009, though. Then again last year. I’m hoping this will be the third year in a row I cross the 50k finish line.
In preparation for NaNo, I’ve been doing a few things…
1. I’ve picked out a general plot, the names of my two main characters, and a title. I was starting to panic for a little while at the beginning of October, because I couldn’t think of anything. AND THEN IT HIT ME! And there was much rejoicing.
2. I’ve created a NaNoWriMo 2011 playlist.
3. I’m going to my region’s kick-off party on Sunday!
4. I’ve warned the friends that didn’t already know that I do this that I’m going to do this. They needed warning. Querying and doing NaNoWriMo at the same time. My stress level is going to be nuts.
5. I’ve set a goal to finish my current first draft before November 1. I set this goal today. That gives me three days. HA! We’ll see how that goes.
So, all in all, I’m psyched. I’ll try to keep this blog updated throughout my NaNoWriMo journey.
A certain friend of mine has taken it upon herself to relentlessly quote my previously “most recent” blog post at me until I post a new one. So here’s a new one. And now she can stop.
Yes, I’m aware that I keep saying that I’m going to blog more regularly. That darn thing called life keeps getting in the way. As does a multitude of other stuff, including but not limited to my TBR pile, MiMC, e-mail insanity, HPA, alumni bands, car drama, schizophrenic internet, writing a synopsis, getting ready to start querying this novel, and general exhaustion.
So here’s a new Love of the Week post. It’s lame. And for that, I apologize.
I love me some sugarfree gum, particularly as of late. In particular, I’ve grown kind of addicted to Extra Dessert Delights.
Here’s the thing: A couple of years ago, I lost a ton of weight. During that time, I chewed a lot of sugarfree gum. I’m on a diet again, to lose some of the weight I gained over the summer, and it’s become a lifeline. It keeps me from the vending machine and snacks at work. I’ve gotten some flack from co-workers who have seen my “gum drawer” (I tend to stock up), but the thing is…it works for me. And I need a variety of gum in order to keep my sweet tooth under control, otherwise I start craving things like chocolate. It also comes in handy once NaNoWriMo starts, to keep me away from the snacks during that stressful time too.
So, yes, sugarfree gum is my love of the week.